Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The not so dry desert

Greetings! This blog will document the experiences and insights of UNL students and faculty as they study abroad. To kick things off, we start in Namibia, Africa. Namibia has been a travel hotspot for the UNL contingent since 2005. I am travelling ahead of the class, but the students and Dr. Powell will be along soon. Anyway, on to the title of this blog.



I arrived in Namibia on Easter morning as the first spears of light were reaching out over the horizon. Light revealed to me a Namibia I have not seen before .... very green! In fact, much of Namibia is wetter than it has been in the past 100 years. This rain has caused some logistics issues as I cannot get to the farm I was planning to visit. Ah well, plan B is in play. I have been out to see some critters and will be walking in the veldt very soon!



Any guesses on this critter?






3 comments:

  1. Any chance that is a tree monitor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any chance that it is a rock monitor (Varanus albigularis)?

    Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with plan B Mark!

    ReplyDelete